Friday 25 May 2012

Best Toys ''R' Us trip ever!

I just popped down to Toys ‘R’ Us to get some play sand for the kids so they can make the most of this very un-English weather while it lasts and while I was in there thought I would just take a quick look around to see if there was anything suitable for gaming/conversion. I was glad that I did…
  First off, I found a die cast Apache helicopter (an AH-64) made by Fastlane for Toys ‘R’ Us. It was on special offer, being reduced from £12.99 to £9.99. It is modelled in 1/55 scale, which if you are interested in using die cast for wargaming you will probably know that it is something of a holy grail when it comes to scale.
  
Scale is a very subjective thing, but it is generally considered that for 28mm scale figures, something between 1/50 and 1/56 is about perfect. 1/48 is far more common form die cast and for model kits, but it is generally too big for 28mm scale figures. 1/72 scale is used for a lot of military models, but is too small for 28mm, being better suited for 20mm or 18mm scale. As I say, scale is very subjective, and people choose to use all sorts of scales, and that’s fine. I think the most important thing is to remains consistent.


My second find, in the bargain bucket, was some models form the Disney’s Cars movie range. I have used these before for my African scenery as these are generally approaching 1/56 scale (although there is some inconsistencies across the range as the models are based on the characters in the film and sometimes the sizes are exaggerated for comic effect, so you have to be wary). These models are based on a Range Rover, and were just £2.49 each. They will be converted and used as part of my cavalcade for The President of Zugando, or any other ranking dignitaries.

  
All in all, I would consider that to be a good shopping trip!




3 comments:

Simon Quinton said...

Great find I saw the apache at my local store before christmas but was skint. When I had the cash it was gone! Nice find on the cars!

Deserter said...

That Apache looks perfect - fantastic!

pulpcitizen said...

Great find mate. :)