Wednesday 25 July 2012

Two Flames of War Buildings

These two buildings are both 15mm scale World War 2 buildings suitable for Flames of War games set in Normandy. Both are made from pre-cut laser-cut MDF.
Flames of War Buildings
The one on the left is by Sassissa Precision and comes flat pack and unpainted: It costs £9. Obviously I have painted this one myself, and it took 2-3 hours to assemble and paint to this standard.
The one on the right is a new one from 4Ground, and also comes flat pack- the difference is that 4Ground gives the option of having pre-painted models- like this one. This one took about an hour to assemble- it’s a more complicated model that the Sarrissa Precision one- but obviously did not need painting. It cost £13.
Now- personally I think the one I painted looks a bit better- given that you can see the joints on the roof and walls of the 4Ground one, but give that it was a pain in the butt to paint, the 4Ground stuff certainly has some merit. The difference of just £4 for the models is quite surprising, and the fact that the laser cutters adds a thin layer of soot that provides instant weathering is a great feature- so much so that I think I will go back to the Sarrissa buildings I have already finished and add some weathering powder.
Over all, I think that if you want to lavish lots of time and attention on your scenery and have a fantastic looking table top- then I would go with Sarrissa (or even 4Grounds very reasonably priced unpainted models), and paint them yourself. But if you want a pretty good-looking tabletop, and quickly- then go for the new 4Ground stuff.
Me? I think I am too lazy to paint more houses for Flames of War. In future 4Ground will get my business. 




2 comments:

Modest Miniatures said...

Both look great! Another great supplier of laser cut MDF is Warbases. I've just built one of their terrace buildings and it looks great.

Rob Bresnen said...

I have one of their 28mm buildings- a pub- for my VBCW- and I really like it. The problem is the windows, which are solid and just etched on, here as the Sarissa and 4ground have the windows cut out. I just glued blue card to the inside of the buildings- a lot easier than painting in each window pane.