Friday 29 April 2016

Frostgrave: Bargin Terrain

Last week I walked past an Oxfam charity shop and, entirely on a whim, through I would pop in and look at the ornaments for something I could use in Frostgrave. I was looking for a little statue, perhaps a dragon or a knight, but what I found were a pair of resin candlestick holders. They were SO ugly it beggars belief that anyone would have bought them in the first place. I think the staff at the charity shop must have thought I was half mad because as soon as I saw them I knew I had to have them. They were painted red and gold, and had multicoloured plastic jewels glued to them- tacky beyond belief. 
Once I got home I had a rummage through my bits box and found a couple of  suitable figures to adorn the candlesticks- in this case two old GW wizards I had had in my lead pile for more years than I care to remember. These wizards are lovely sculpts but alas both of them had their staffs broken so had no eBay value and so, after some soul-searching, I glued then to the candlesticks and sprayed them black. 
These pictures show the end results: a quick and easy paint job; some white fine surface plaster for snow and some plastic icicles from a model railway shop and the tacky tat was transformed into two Frostgrave monuments! 
And the cost for this transformation...£1.98.








5 comments:

JP said...

Great find mate!

Da Gobbo said...

Lucky find bud, they've come up really well!

pulpcitizen said...

Excellent work; good find and excellent re-purposing at minimal cost.. :)

Phil Curran said...

That's my kind of logic. Well done.

Simon Quinton said...

These look great dude love the icicles as well very effective looking.