Friday 28 November 2014

To Defy A King: English Civil War Firelock Armed Musketeers

I have previously stated that the English Civil War is not really my sort of thing...I don't know why, but as a wargaming period it just doesn't do it for me. However, at the Earslwood Wargaming Group ECW is very big, especially amongst the veteran gamers. Indeed one of the movers and shakers at the group has just published his own set of rules called "To Defy a King", which seem a lot of fun. Given that the prospect of playing more ECW games in the future is quite high, I thought I had better get some more troops together. I have previously painted some armed peasants (called 'clubmen' because they clubbed together to defend their homes, not because they were wielding clubs -although some certainly were) and when I spoke to Kieth about what I should paint next he suggested cannons, as there is a bit of a shortage of cannons in the group. Seeing a little niche I thought I could fill, I have decided to go into artillery. 

To start off my little ECW army I have painted up a regiment of firelock armed musketeers. The artillery officers at the time were said to have preferred firelocks for their guards because they were less prone to spark and make the gun powder wagons explode- which is probably a good thing.  They are supported by a minion, which is a sort of small cannon that can be manhandled across the battlefield (unlike the larger cannons which were emplaced before the battle and were effectively immobile).


My next plan is to add a small regiment of dismounted dragoons (also armed with firelocks) to protect the flank, a brace of field guns and a supply wagon laden with powder and shot. 

The musketeers are from Warlord Games and the cannon is from Perry Miniatures. 


6 comments:

pulpcitizen said...

Historical madness beckons!

Joking aside, they look great mate. :)

Millsy said...

Nice brushwork Rob

Michael Awdry said...

I'm loving these Rob, lovely work. Like you I've struggled with ECW as a period of interest, but stumbling across the Witchfinder rules has really brought it to life for me.

Phil said...

They look great!

Simon Quinton said...

Very nice work mate. So it begins!

Mike C said...

I'm a bit late to the party but this is giving me all sorts of ideas for my ECW project. Jealous of your club and your figures are lovely.